Kids 4 Clean Water – Belize
Kids Making Change!
Through a collaborative effort with Caribbean S.E.A. (Student Environment Alliance) and CYEN – Belize (Caribbean Youth Environment Network) BelizeCC provides education programs to the youth of San Mateo, Belize. Providing programs with a focus on ecosystem management, clean water and sanitation, and health and hygiene empower youth and further connect them to their community and surrounding environment.
What Do they Learn?
Clean Water and Sanitation
Surface Water Testing – water sampling, bacteria testing and using microscopes to explore microorganisms in their surface water around their homes
Ecological Sanitation Education – understanding alternative sanitation options that are safe for the environment and cost effective
Health and Hygiene
Health and Hygiene Promotion
- The Benefits of Proper Hand-washing – Proper handwashing prevents harmful microbes from entering the body. Through proper handwashing many illnesses can be prevented
- Tippy Taps were built with the campers along with a community wide soap distribution program was facilitated in 2013
- Poo-lution Skit and GermGlo presentation is a fun way to further understand how sickness is spread person to person
- Understanding how mosquitoes spread illness
- Crocodile Conservation -To further understand the importance of the protected American Crocodile and to promote a safer human-croc environment the campers participate in an evening ACES CSI Evening Eye Shine and attend a presentation by a true crocodile hunter!
- Coral Reef Conservation – To promote and understand the importance and diversity of the local and Mesoamerican Barrier Reef through
- Bird Conservation – Identifying local birds that live within their community
PAST KIDS 4 CLEAN WATER CAMPERS